Support at Preschool
Preschool is an important year for families and children. There are a range of services and support agencies that families can utilise to support their child throughout the preschool year.
Child and Family Centre
Child and Family Centres provide a range of universal services based on the needs of families in Gungahlin, West Belconnen and Tuggeranong children and their families.
At times, children and their families require additional assistance. The Child and Family Centres work closely with families to determine the additional assistance required and the best way that this can be provided across the government and the community.
The centres bring together a range of professionals from across government and community, with the aim of delivering services in a child-centered and family focused way.
Some of the services available from the ACT Government's Child and Family Centres include:
- parenting information
- maternal and child health clinics
- speech pathology and physiotherapy drop in
- individual work with children and families
- relationship counselling.
Therapy ACT is a program area of the Community Services Directorate. It provides a range of multidisciplinary therapy and support services for people with delays in development and developmental disabilities.
Therapy and support services are available for physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, social work and psychology. There is no charge for this service. For further information see http://www.communityservices.act.gov.au
Canberra Preschool Society
The Canberra Preschool Society (CPS) is an incorporated volunteer organisation and peak body in education advocacy, in the Australian Capital Territory. The Society was formed in 1943 as the Canberra Nursery Kindergarten Association and was incorporated in its present form in 1975. The CPS strives to be a strong effective voice of preschool parents in the ACT and to assist parents to have an active role in their preschool community. For more infromation see http://www.canberrapreschools.org.au
Children's Policy and Regulations Unit
The Children's Policy and Regulation Unit (CPRU) - a section of the Education and Training Directorate - administers the legislation covering approved education and care services and licensed childcare services in the ACT.
The role of the CPRU includes:
- Providing information about education and care in the ACT to families, services and the community
- Issuing approvals for providers, services, waivers, certified supervisors and license
- Monitoring compliance with the Children and Young People Act 2008 and the Education and Care Services National Law (ACT) Act 2011 through announced and unannounced visits, data collection and review, targeted monitoring campaigns, and email and phone contact with services
- Quality assessment and rating of education and care services in accordance with the National Quality Framework and
- Investigating complaints relating to compliance with the relevant education and care law.
The CPRU is staffed by professionals with experience and qualifications in children's education and care.
Children's Policy and Regulation Unit
PO Box 158
Canberra ACT 2601
02 6207 1114
The Association of Parents and Friends of ACT Schools Inc.
The Association of Parents and Friends of ACT Schools Inc. (APFACTS), established in 1982 is the peak body and voice for non-government school parents and carers whose children attend Catholic and Independent schools in the ACT. As well as advocating on behalf of ACT parents on education issues, one of our aims is to support parents' capacity to positively influence students' progress through their school years.
Council of Parents and Citizens Associations
The ACT Council of Parents and Citizens Association is the peak parent body for public preschool, primary, high schools and colleges in the ACT. The council helps P&Cs organise their insurance and manage their legal obligations, and make submissions to the ACT and Commonwealth governments on behalf of public school parents.